1. Does the founder have to be resident in Western Canada or have a business registered in Western Canada to be eligible?
The project must have meaningful operations in Western Canada (Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan). If we cannot help you directly, we will connect you with our ecosystem partners who support projects in your region.
2. Do you only support tech companies?
No, we are intentional about supporting both tech and non tech.
3. Can nonprofits or social enterprises also access support?
Yes. If not incorporated or registered yet, we can also assist you with that.
4. Do you also support creative industries?
5. I am really interested in starting a business but not sure where to start. What should I do?
Please book a consultation and we will connect you with our Support Services to find the right fit.
6. What is the funding support provided to founders at the end of the 10 week program?
We will connect you to ecosystem partners and funders who would be interested in your project, and with any programs that suit the profile of your project.
7. How do you support a non-tech founder in the Black Founders Hub who has a tech idea?
We will help prepare your idea, design the roles and outline the planning needed for R&D, and identify seed funding approach for carrying out the R&D.
8. Can I get a grant or loan to start up a business, and what are the eligibility and requirements?
Yes, there are multiple grant and micro grant opportunities. Please book a consultation to find the right fit for you and to get assistance preparing a loan application.
9. If we have gone through other accelerator programs, are we still eligible to apply for the Black Founders Hub?
10. If I only need funding for scaling up my business, do I need to attend the 10 weeks program?
It depends on the readiness of your idea and the phase of your business, and could be appropriate for either the Black Founders Hub accelerator or the Support Services. Please book a consultation to see what might be the best fit for you.